July 2, 2012

I'm on a roll!!

I've finished Monster by Walter Dean Myers and despite my initial misgivings about formatting I really enjoyed it!  Once you get used to the way the text is delivered, the book moves on at a remarkable clip.  The story is told from the point of view of Steve Harmon, the young man on trial for felony murder.  He decides to treat the entire incident as if it's a movie and so it goes from script to diary like entries.  I found it gripping, well-written, and I couldn't wait to keep turning the pages to find out what happened next.  I highly recommend for those who enjoy a quick criminal novel along the likes of John Grisham (as this focuses on the trial aspect quite heavily at times).

The next on the list is Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey.  From what I read on the dust jacket, the book is about a young boy named Charlie who learns a terrible secret from his friend, Jasper Jones, that threatens to change everything in his life and in the lives of the town in which he lives.  From a cursory glance, it appears to be a spine-tingling mystery (of which I'm a huge fan) so I'm quite excited to get started on it.  If all goes well, I'll hopefully be finished with it quickly so I can give all of you a review. :-)

In the mean time, keep on reading!!

2 comments:

  1. Monster sounds good. I'll have to add it to my To Read pile!

    ReplyDelete