August 4, 2012

I've just finished up Mud City by Deborah Ellis which is the third installment of the Breadwinner Trilogy.  It's about a young Afghan girl name Shauzia who is at a refugee camp but would rather be in France (or really anywhere else).  The story focuses on her struggles as she encounters the many obstacles of a country torn apart by war.  She's angry, frustrated, and at odds with everyone around her except for her dog, Jasper.  It was a fairly quick read and while I learned about a country that I'm pretty unfamiliar with, I wasn't blown away by it.  Perhaps if I hadn't unwittingly chosen the third book in a trilogy, it would have been more entertaining.  However, if you're interested in knowing what it would be like to grow up in Afghanistan or Pakistan, I suggest starting with The Breadwinner.

Interesting to note: the royalties from the purchase of this book go to Street Kids International, a non-profit organization that works with children around the world who are living on the streets.  For more information, contact them here or write to them at 38 Camden St, Suite 201, Toronto, Ontario M5V 1V1.

No comments:

Post a Comment