July 16, 2013

An opening of the eyes

I mentioned in my last entry that I was going to be reviewing titles from NetGalley. These titles are in pre-publication status which means that you won't be able to go and pick them up just yet (if you were feeling so inclined). However, if you like the sound of them I highly encourage you to mark them on your "Must Read" list (I have so many of these that it's ridiculous at this point). So with that thought in mind on with the review!

The Why of Things: Causality in Science, Medicine, and Life by Peter Rabins was just as interesting as its title suggests. As a species, humans are always looking for the answers to 'why' things happen. We are by nature curious creatures and the author explains in-depth why it is important that we continue to look for the causes behind different phenomena/events whether they be on a global level (How did the earth begin?) or on a personal level (Why did I develop lung cancer if I've never smoked cigarettes?). The methodologies and disciplines that seek to answer these questions and an infinite number besides were discussed (some quite thoroughly such as the biological sciences in regards to genetics).  If you're interested in learning more about a fascinating topic (and trust me when I say that it is fascinating) then this book is for you. If you're a science nerd (yay nerds!) then you'll love it. Keep an eye out for this one to hit shelves.

Switching gears slightly (are you surprised?) I'm going to be reading Jack the Ripper: The Facts by Paul Begg. It's exactly what it sounds like. A narrative tale about the exploits of one of the most well-known serial killers of all time. He claimed the lives of 5 women in 1888 and was never caught. Paul Begg uses case notes from the time as well as documented accounts to aid in his attempt.  This is a revision of a book that was published in the 80s but which the author explains in the Introduction is almost a complete reworking based on new facts about the cases. As I'm interested in both Victorian England (and England in general if I'm being honest) as well as accounts of criminality I know I'm going to enjoy this read.

I hope you're all taking advantage of the summer to get your hands on books. Please let me know of any that you think I should read/review!!

PS Ashley, I'm working on getting a copy of the book we discussed. Once I do I'll review here for you! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment