November 11, 2013

Changing gears

Winnie-the-Pooh was exactly what I needed. I basically read it in one sitting and smiled the entire time. There are scenes from one's childhood that seem fixed in place. They are immoveable and grounded in such a way that it's as if they were always there. Many times you try to revisit them in your adulthood and discover that they were little more than cardboard sets and a man pulling strings. Christopher Robin and his friends in the Hundred Acre Wood are a completely different ball of wax. In fact, I learned more about these beloved characters through this book. For instance, did you know that Winnie-the-Pooh had a different name? (I'd tell you what it was but that would be a spoiler. (-: ) Or that Tigger didn't show up until the second book in the series? I recommend that everyone read this book with their children (or nieces, cousins, etc.) because it's beautiful. The storylines are sweet, the illustrations are enchanting, and the way it makes you feel is indescribable.

Of course, as is my way I decided to completely change gears with my next book. I picked this one up at the start of the year after I saw the film adaptation and fell in love with the concept. It's a massive tome though so I'm not exactly looking forward to carting it around on my commute but such is life. It's Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl. I was dubious about this book but within 10 minutes of the film I knew that I would have to read the book to get to all of the meaty stuff that couldn't possibly be covered in a 2 hour film. I don't even know where to start with outlining what the book is supposed to be about. If I had to choose keywords: magic, first love, family discord, and self-discovery. Keep in mind that it's young adult fiction so you just know there's gonna be angst for days. Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment