March 29, 2015

Zamonia or bust OR Walter Moers has ascended to my top authors list

It's been awhile since I enjoyed a book as much as I enjoyed The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear. From start to finish, it was an imaginative romp through a fantastic land full of creatures with names that would make Roald Dahl weep with pride. The main character, Bluebear, describes the first half of his 26 lives as he travels through Zamonia (a continent that used to exist on earth along with several others which you might not have heard of) meeting creatures such as Troglotrolls, Minipirates, and Shark Grubs. Bluebear is a remarkably resilient sea bear who acquires new skills and knowledge through every stage of his journey. However, the best part of this book (of which there are many) are the illustrations which were done by the author himself, Walter Moers. I absolutely love how they are blended and incorporated into the story. This book is the first in a series which Moers created about Zamonia and I'm not ashamed to say that I've already ordered the second in the series which is all about a Wolpertinger named Rumo. O_O  This is the kind of book which would be perfect for reading aloud with your kids. It would probably work best for kids in 4th grade and above as the vocabulary is quite advanced and there are some slightly adult themes. Of course, if you're like me then it doesn't matter what age the book was intended for if you enjoy it. Some of my favorite books are considered 'children's literature' and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. :-)

Next up is a book which my best friend recommended. The book is by Kate Morton and is titled The Secret Keeper. (She had me with 'mystery in England' to be fair.) A crime was witnessed by the main character, Laurel, when she was a child and it has her seeing her mother in a completely different light. However, she doesn't dare ask her about this event until many, many years later and the truth that is revealed might be more than she and her family can bear. I can't wait to come back and let you know what I thought of it (especially you, Krystle)!

Until next time, happy reading!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment