May 14, 2015

Mark Watney vs Mars

There's something to be said about a character's likability especially if the book's primary focus is "Is this guy gonna survive?!" If the reader doesn't like the guy then why continue reading? From the very start, it is easy to sympathize with Mark and to identify with him. His sense of humor is particularly enjoyable. A large chunk of the story is told through Mark's logs from Mars with intermittent jumps to NASA and his crew aboard their ship headed back to earth. There's a believability in all of the characters; even those only mentioned fleetingly. Despite being Andy Weir's first novel, his confidence in the logistics of space travel and attention to detail make this a very compelling read (science and math nerds will love it). Space travel has and will probably always hold a fascination for many readers of which I am undoubtedly one. I can't wait to see what Weir will come out with next! This is science fiction at its very best, ya'll.
After my jaunt into the world of faiytales retold with Dorothy Must Die I had a hankering for something else along that same vein. The answer to my problem: Cinder by Marissa Meyer. Because I'm a glutton for punishment, this is the start of a series which I'm partly hoping I'll hate because Lord only knows I don't need another series taking over my life...That being said, this looks to be an exciting read! The premise is that Cinder (think Cinderalla but as a cyborg) is caught in the middle of a battle between the people on her planet who are ravaged by plague and a mysterious people (these are the Lunars I believe) waiting in space to strike. O_O

Edit: The Martian has been turned into a film! Starring Matt Damon! It will be out in US theaters on October 2nd!!

No comments:

Post a Comment