May 10, 2016

I have learned nothing.

Last week I talked about my first foray into the worlds of anime and manga with my review of Another. This time I thought I'd check out Attack on Titan 1 by Hajime Isayama mainly because I was hoping that it would answer the question that the anime posed "What are Titans?". It did not answer that question. In fact, it only covered up to about the fourth episode of the series which is probably why they've put out several volumes. (There are 19 out currently and each volume contains 4 separate chapters.) I now understand why people start with the manga and then watch the anime although in my defense I'm a newbie to both worlds. I will say that if I had known that I wouldn't learn anything new by starting with the first volume I would have skipped to where the anime ended (on a cliffhanger!) which is volume 8 (don't worry it's already on my list). The style of drawing is pretty much spot on to what was in the anime so if you enjoy that style then you'll most likely enjoy the manga (but like I said don't waste your time on the earlier volumes unless you just want to refresh your memory). Now about the story: Humans vs Titans. That's the basic gist. Humans (those remaining) have been forced behind walls to escape the terror of the Titans who are giant humanlike creatures with a taste for human flesh (and bones and pretty much all the viscera therein contained). The two issues are: What are Titans and how do the humans defeat them? If you can't stomach gore and/or violence then this one is definitely not for you. However, if you're interested in the struggle for survival against seemingly unbeatable odds then you might want to check out Attack on Titan.


Source: Amazon.com


I am incandescent with rage. Can you see why?


**If you're interested in buying this book or any books really, you can click here or here. The first will re-direct you to AbeBooks and the second will re-direct you to The Book Depository. These are great websites for purchasing books (AbeBooks carries inexpensive used and out-of-print books and The Book Depository ships free everywhere in the world). Full disclosure: I will receive a commission on all sales made by following either of these links. I wouldn't recommend a site that I didn't use and you are under no obligation to purchase anything. :-) **

No comments:

Post a Comment