July 8, 2016

Born in a horror film and brought to life in a graphic novel

When I saw the cover art for Alien Next Door by Joey Spiotto I was intrigued. When I read the blurb on the back I knew that I needed to get my hands on it immediately. Luckily, I am happy to report that it exceeded all expectations. This book explores what the alien from Alien does when not terrorizing the crew of the Nostromo. IT IS BRILLIANT. Basically, it's a series of images of this terrifying creature just going about it's normal routine. There's a picture of it going to the dentist (complete with mini alien head sticking from its mouth), one of it putting together a replica of the Nostromo a la Star Wars vibes, and so much more. It's a quick, fun little book with really creative imagery of a character that had appeared one-dimensional as an entity without anything except bloodlust and propagation of its species on its mind. Now we know that it has a cat named Jonesy, enjoys celebrating holidays with its eggs, and that it takes domestic responsibilities seriously. 10/10

This review wouldn't be complete without a few pictures of the artwork. Enjoy!



Hope there were no cavities.

The lack of eyes doesn't bother me. How about you?

This one really cracked me up.



**If you're interested in buying this book or any books really, you can click here or here. The first will re-direct you to AbeBooks and the second will re-direct you to The Book Depository. These are great websites for purchasing books (AbeBooks carries inexpensive used and out-of-print books and The Book Depository ships free everywhere in the world). Full disclosure: I will receive a commission on all sales made by following either of these links. I wouldn't recommend a site that I didn't use and you are under no obligation to purchase anything. :-) **

No comments:

Post a Comment