October 7, 2016

Did this author get permission to write a book about me?

The Library is simply delightful. Written by Sarah Stewart and illustrated by David Small, it tells the story of a little girl named Elizabeth Brown who was unlike everyone else her age. She was more interested in reading than going to parties. She was fascinated by books instead of boys. She'd prefer to curl up in a big armchair and immerse herself in other worlds than venture into the out-of-doors. In short, this book speaks to the bookworm in all of us. The story combined with the beautiful illustrations make this a picture book must for all ages. It reminds us that it is perfectly okay to be exactly who you are even if others don't quite understand. If you have a passion, then BE PASSIONATE. Elizabeth loves books to such an extent that they eventually overtake her home but rather than make it one of those "well what did you expect" moments that would heap shame on the character the creators of this book applaud her in an absolutely lovely way. (I don't want to spoil it.) I really can't recommend this one highly enough. It didn't receive the title of Outstanding Book of the year in 1995 for nothing. ;-) The title of this post says it all. I felt a connection to this book. I'm sure I wasn't the only one and I think that for children especially it sends a really great message. 10/10

AN: For kicks and giggles, I went onto Amazon to read some of the reviews for this book and started at the 2-star reviews (there were three of them). Two of them mentioned the end result of Elizabeth's life as being quite sad but funnily enough it was my favorite part. If you have read or read this book as a result of my post please comment below with your opinion of it. I'd love to hear from you! :-)

I absolutely love this art style. (Remember when I read Stitches?)

It's like someone has been spying on me.
**If you're interested in buying this book or any books really, you can click here or here. The first will re-direct you to AbeBooks and the second will re-direct you to The Book Depository. These are great websites for purchasing books (AbeBooks carries inexpensive used and out-of-print books and The Book Depository ships free everywhere in the world). Full disclosure: I will receive a commission on all sales made by following either of these links. I wouldn't recommend a site that I didn't use and you are under no obligation to purchase anything. :-) **

No comments:

Post a Comment