March 3, 2017

What it takes to be a rogue

My aim for this blog is to try and read as diversely as possible (without reading things I'm completely uninterested in) so that more people might start reading for pleasure. One of the reasons why I've been trying to read more middle grade fiction is that I realized how woefully under-read I was for that age group. This jump start into middle grade has been made possible because of John David Anderson (I reviewed Ms. Bixby's Last Day Sidekicked ) who I think is a really great gateway into reading for this age group (boys in particular might find him enjoyable but I try not to pigeonhole genders).

Therefore, it will come as no surprise that today's post includes a review of another J.D.A book entitled The Dungeoneers. This is the first book in a series (although there's no set date for the next book or even a premise so don't get too excited yet) about a group of kids who are learning the craft of dungeoneering (don't worry the book will explain precisely what this entails) in Thwodin's Legion (you probably haven't heard of it because it's pretty elite). Each of the main characters has a different specialization (rogue, druid healer, barbarian, and mageling). Anderson continues to impress with his characterization and believable 'voice' for this age group. Reluctant readers would do well to check out his writing. Fantasy lovers especially will enjoy this one and Sidekicked (PS He's also written a companion novel set in the same universe as Sidekick entitled Minion which I'm hoping to read soon.). Colm Candorly is the main protagonist and maybe one of my favorite characters ever written because he's flawed and instead of fighting that he embraces it willingly. There's plenty of humor but alongside that is a healthy dosage of dramatics (and violence). It's a fast paced, fun read that can be enjoyed by middle grade to adult readers. If you didn't guess already, I'm a fan. 10/10

**If you're interested in buying this book or any books really, you can click here or here. The first will re-direct you to AbeBooks and the second will re-direct you to The Book Depository. These are great websites for purchasing books (AbeBooks carries inexpensive used and out-of-print books and The Book Depository ships free everywhere in the world). Full disclosure: I will receive a commission on all sales made by following either of these links. I wouldn't recommend a site that I didn't use and you are under no obligation to purchase anything. :-) **

No comments:

Post a Comment