January 6, 2021

Back in the saddle again with my first review of 2021!

I started a book at the end of 2020 and I closed the cover on it yesterday. It came highly recommended to me by my good friend, Karen. (Hey, Karen!) This book has been around since the 1930s and has been published in many languages and countries and yet it had never been on my radar before. I'm of course talking about How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie. This book began as an educational tool to accompany the classes that Carnegie was teaching on Human Relations and Public Speaking and was intended for the business professionals who were then enrolled in his courses. It has since been updated and revised multiple times as its appeal grew to encompass people from all walks of life around the globe. I confess to feeling a bit skeptical about this book and I think that's entirely due to its somewhat lofty promise on its cover.

At its core this is a philosophical book about self-confidence and the interconnectedness of the human race. The historical anecdotes were especially interesting as they ran the gamut from diplomats, politicians, and presidents to bank managers, sales clerks, and parents. While this book was originally intended for business professionals, ultimately it's helpful for anyone wanting to build confidence and interpersonal skills. There's a reason it's still popular 70 years later. 8/10

Source: Barnes & Noble


What I'm currently reading: Single. On Purpose. by John Kim and The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell

**If you're interested in buying any of these books or any books really, you can click here. This will re-direct you to AbeBooks which is a site I use all of the time to find used books at an excellent price. A lot of the time I don't even pay for shipping! Full disclosure: I will receive a commission on all sales made through this link. You will not be charged anything additional for my commission. I wouldn't recommend a site that I didn't use and you are under no obligation to purchase anything. :-) **

No comments:

Post a Comment