March 16, 2021

The line between sanity and insanity

I just finished The Great Pretender by Susannah Cahalan and IT WAS SO GOOD. I don't know why I am surprised by how much I truly enjoy reading an excellent nonfiction book but it's always such a delight especially when they're as engrossing as this one. You might recognize Susannah Cahalan as the author of Brain On Fire about her experiences being misdiagnosed with psychosis (for a MONTH) before a doctor determined it was actually autoimmune encephalitis. From that experience, Cahalan became a kind of spokesperson for this disease as well as an advocate for a more nuanced and structured diagnostic process. She learns about a well-known study conducted in the early 70s by David Rosenhan which explored the (pseudo)science of psychiatric diagnosis and the environment of psychiatric hospitals. And thus her passion was truly ignited as she worked to track down as much information about this study as possible. The explosive (and controversial) results of this landmark study had a profound effect on the field of psychiatry and how we view and treat mental illness in the United States. Cahalan gives a comprehensive overview of psychiatry and her journey to uncover the identities of those that participated in the original study. The end result was this book which I frankly keep raving about to anyone who will stop long enough to listen to me. Go forth, dear reader! 10/10


Source: Amazon

What I'm currently reading: The Poisoned City by Anna Clark

**If you're interested in buying any of these books or any books really, you can click here. This will re-direct you to AbeBooks which is a site I use all of the time to find used books at an excellent price. A lot of the time I don't even pay for shipping! Full disclosure: I will receive a commission on all sales made through this link. You will not be charged anything additional for my commission. I wouldn't recommend a site that I didn't use and you are under no obligation to purchase anything. :-) **

No comments:

Post a Comment