July 18, 2012

I was busy today!!

Well, I've finally discovered a YA book that I like. Speak woke up something inside of me. It was heart wrenching and soul shattering. It was deep and disturbing. It was the story of a girl who was afraid to speak out and to face something that no one should ever have to face.  It was beautifully written and I am better for having read it. I don't think I'm doing it justice. If you have the stomach to handle extremely sensitive issues then you should read this. Go now.

Thankfully, I have a kind friend who lent me a copy of God Went to Beauty School by Cynthia Rylant because I was still on the hold list from weeks ago. I am having a difficult time forming an opinion about this (write that down because that's a first!). The book is written in verse and focuses on God as if he's a mortal man doing normal things such as opening up a nail salon. I'm torn between thinking that it's quite cleverly written and thinking that it's blasphemous. The whole time I was reading it, I kept thinking about how my best friend's father would view it and I really don't think he'd appreciate some of the humor. I don't know. Maybe you should give it a read and let me know what you think (I've asked that friend to read it and let me know her opinion).

Next on the list for Thursday's class is The First Part Last by Angela Johnson. Based on the part of the back cover that isn't covered by a barcode, the book is about teenage pregnancy. My friend from class mentioned that she thoroughly enjoyed this book so I'm interested to see where the story leads. Teenage pregnancy isn't a topic that I've read much about so my mind is wide open and ready to receive.

What a jam packed day of literature!!

2 comments:

  1. Speak sounds interesting. you write like a pro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! You should read it! Thank you, mama. :o)

      Delete