July 18, 2012

Will wonders never cease!

The First Part Last was a change from what I imagine is the typical "teenage pregnancy" novel.  The book is told from the point-of-view of the father. It goes back and forth between the past (when they discovered they were having a baby) to the present (the baby has been born). There's a twist to the story that I thought I had figured out but then surprised me at the end. I enjoyed it because it was well-written and defied what I felt was the "formula" for the usual teen fiction. I think it's well worth giving a whirl.

Next on the list is Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan. I was intrigued by this book as soon as I saw it on my reading list. As a library student, we are taught that it is vitally important to stock the shelves so that every member of the public can fulfill their information needs. Young adults are at that point in their lives where they are questioning the very definition of themselves. Who are their friends? What do they like? Are they weird? A book which explores a budding homosexual romance between two boys is a perfect example of how to insure that this information is properly fulfilled. I'm interested to see how this particular book deals with this sensitive issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment