October 16, 2012

I'm back!

I must first apologize for the lengthy intermission between this post and the last.  There's been a lot of confusion over exactly which book I'm reading right now because Parade's End came in, I read the first of the three books, and then it had to be returned because it was on hold.  Because of all of that hullabaloo, I started reading The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells.  H.G. Wells is an acquired taste in my opinion. I read War of the Worlds about 5 years ago and was entirely unimpressed.  I read The Time Machine in 2008 and LOVED it.  So what did I think of The Island of Dr. Moreau?  Well, I liked it for the most part.  It was well-written and definitely kept my attention throughout the entire narrative.  I would caution anyone with a weak stomach or who has a softness for animals (like myself).  It's not light reading to be sure but it is fascinating the way this particular writer's mind works.  If you like science fiction novels, then you're likely to enjoy this one.

Speaking of sci-fi novels, I picked up an out-of-print book at a bookshop a couple of weeks ago and decided I wanted to give it a whirl while I was waiting out my book on hold.  The Day the World Ended by Sax Rohmer is about 3 men (a Frenchman, an Englishman, and an American which sounds like a bad joke) who arrive in Germany trying to solve three mysteries that turn out to be one and the same.  There is a plot to destroy the earth and they are given a choice if they would rather die with the masses or be spared with the few.  I was a little disappointed at its rather anti-climactic ending but it moved along fairly well and the characters were for the most part very likable.  Again, I'd recommend this one to any hardcore sci-fi book lover.

Of course, because I have serious compulsion issues when it comes to books I grabbed two more books from the library.  I've decided (just now incidentally) that I'm going to start From the Earth to the Moon by Jules Verne first because I'm in a classics kind of mood. I haven't the foggiest notion what the main plot of the story is other than it discusses space travel (and was mentioned in Back to the Future III).  I promise to be more prompt with my response this time!!

Please let me know how I'm doing and if there is anything you'd like to see more of genre-wise.  Keep those pages turning!!

No comments:

Post a Comment