January 18, 2013

I don't have a witty title for this one.  It's always been my opinion that the best kind of literature is the kind that can completely take us out of our own reality.  It's not every book that makes you feel transplanted into the story.  It's not every book that makes you feel as if you are the main character.  The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is exactly that kind of book.  The existence of those living in a concentration is explored through the eyes of a child on the outside looking in.  The point of the book was to make the reader really explore what it means to put up a fence between two groups of people.  It's something that is still happening today.  A real tearjerker and definitely worth a read.

I wanted something a little more lighthearted but I'm not entirely sure I've chosen wisely.  The Fault in Our Stars is written by a fantastically nerdy man by the name of John Green.  I came to his literature through his vlog that he started with his brother Hank.  He's the reason that I know there is such a thing as a nerdfighter and that I know I am most definitely one of their number.  Anyway, he is highly popular among young adult readers and one of those reasons is because he doesn't shield the reader from hurt.  He throws it all out there in your face and you just have to take it (or stop reading I suppose).  I haven't the foggiest notion what this book is about but it was recommended to me by several people.

Edit: I just read the dust jacket blurb and I am in big trouble here.  I don't think there are enough Kleenex in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment