January 14, 2013

Well, I'll be danged

Thank goodness a riveting story is all it takes to get me back into the groove of reading.  I've finished The Ever-After Bird.  I strongly suggest that if you decide to read this book that you be aware of what you're getting yourself into as regards to subject matter.  If you're familiar with anything to do with slavery in the South you know that it's not a pleasant subject.  This book doesn't pussyfoot about what life for a slave was like on the plantations and the attitude of the majority of the people during this time to what they felt was nothing more than "handling property".  The book focuses particularly on a little girl and her growing understanding of what it really means to be a slave and why what her uncle does with the Underground Railroad is so important. The story line was fast paced and gripping.  I'm not ashamed to say that I had tears in my eyes by the end of the book and I wouldn't be surprised if you fare the same if you give this book a shot.

I guess I'm on a journey of tears because I'm reading The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne next.    The main character is a small boy named Bruno but this isn't a book for children.  In fact, I'm sure it will give me nightmares and I'm nearly 30.  I'll say this about it only: Holocaust.

Maybe I should watch some kitten videos before I attempt sleep tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment