July 26, 2014

Conclusion: I wouldn't last long in the desert

If you have never read an immersive piece of fiction wherein the author creates an entire new vocabulary then Dune might be a bit of a struggle (at least at the beginning). Herbert has created a vast new universe which includes new religions, cultural mores, languages, and science. From the very start of the narrative, the reader is treated as if they are already aware of the world that the characters inhabit. Once you've gotten the hang of things you are in for a real ride. Herbert does not shy away from controversy or taboo. There's talk of rape, pedophilia, prostitution, addiction, and murder to name a few. Religion, politics, and ecology are the main threads interwoven throughout and are the driving force for the action of the story. It is easy to fall into this world and to become invested in the characters (especially the main character, Paul, who is basically the coolest guy ever (understatement of the century)). There is a saying used to quell fear and I kinda want to make it my mantra:
"Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn to see fear's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
And luckily for us, this is just the beginning of the series. >_<

I can't remember if I've ever mentioned it here (or anywhere) but I have a keen interest in the Romanovs, specifically Anastasia (that sounded less creepy in my head). The next book to be reviewed is The House of Special Purpose by John Boyne (remember The Boy in the Striped Pajamas?) and it just so happens to center around a man who is bodyguard to the Tsar Romanov's son. Georgy Jachmenev has been living in England for many years with the weight of heartbreak and scandal pressing down on him. Now in his old age, he makes a trip back to Russia and memories from his past are brought into sharp relief. I'm already keen to get started!!

No comments:

Post a Comment