April 18, 2015

So syrupy sweet you'll wish you had pancakes

If you're in the mood for a quick, predictable romance then The Inheritance is perfect for you. As far as the historical record goes, I'm quite glad that this previously unpublished work has now seen the light of day. It's fascinating to see the first novel from one of America's most beloved authors. From a reader's perspective, however, the book fell a bit flat. It is definitely a product of the times in which it was written. The main character is without flaw and is the embodiment of what it meant to be a noblewoman. From the opening pages, I knew what the ending would be and the twists of the narrative weren't so much twists as twitches. That being said, if you are a fan of Louisa May Alcott and you're curious as to where she started from in order to reach the upper echelons of literature then you should go and pick up a copy of The Inheritance.

I believe I mentioned in my previous post that I took a little trip to the library to get some inspiration for upcoming reading. It wasn't as easy as that, however. I went to pick up a copy of Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne. I walked out with From the Earth to the Moon which as you might recall I read 3 years ago. *slaps forehead* After a second trip to the library, I was more fortunate (although I still didn't get Around the World in 80 Days).

Lincoln's Secret Spy: The Civil War Case That Change the Future of Espionage by Jane Singer and John Stewart is the story of William Alvin Lloyd. After Lincoln's assassination, he showed up at the White House claiming that he was hired by Lincoln as a spy and overdue for payment. Lloyd was either the Civil War's most successful spy or the most daring con man of all time. I guess we'll find out more soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment