July 12, 2016

Grief does not preclude hope

The following book was kindly sent to me by the author, Dan Buri, who requested a review. He's been extraordinarily patient with me as I've waded through a lot of books (and procrastination). Thanks, Dan!

Pieces Like Pottery: Stories of Loss and Redemption is exactly what it claims to be. This is a collection of short stories that examine grief and how different people deal with it. It's also about hope and resilience. After finishing this delightful little book, I felt uplifted and encouraged. I'd compare it to The Opposite of Loneliness in terms of how powerful I found the writing and it's re-readability. In between each short story is a little vignette which works as a bridge between each narrative. At the end, you realize that they're more interwoven than the disparate stories led you to believe. (It truly surprised me.) Pieces Like Pottery runs the gamut of loss and the myriad ways it can affect an individual. From the loss of a child to the loss of one's self, this was a beautifully imagined and heartfelt little collection. 10/10 highly recommend.


Source: amazon.com


**If you're interested in buying this book or any books really, you can click here or here. The first will re-direct you to AbeBooks and the second will re-direct you to The Book Depository. These are great websites for purchasing books (AbeBooks carries inexpensive used and out-of-print books and The Book Depository ships free everywhere in the world). Full disclosure: I will receive a commission on all sales made by following either of these links. I wouldn't recommend a site that I didn't use and you are under no obligation to purchase anything. :-) **

No comments:

Post a Comment