May 14, 2021

This is just part one

I think most people can agree Barack Obama is an excellent orator so it should come as no surprise that his writing is just as eloquent, insightful, and personal. It's also THOROUGH. There's a reason that that book is super long and there's still another volume. For every decision that he made during his presidency, he gives detailed context, counterarguments, and reflections on the results. This book is biographical in that we learn about his childhood, schooling, family, and his thoughts and feelings on what it was like campaigning and ultimately serving as President. But it's much more than that because he gives the reader an in-depth view of life in the White House as well as the inner workings (and conflicts) in government. This is the first Presidential biography that I've ever read so I have no basis of comparison but he laid out the political environment in clear-cut and understandable language that somehow didn't read like a textbook or party propaganda. Quite a feat I think.

Some of my favorite parts of this book are the same things that endeared him to me when he held the highest office in the land. His idealism, forthright manner, and ability to not take himself so seriously really shine through when he talks about his meetings with his staff, discussions with foreign officials, and struggles to push through legislation against party opposition. While I felt a bit bamboozled by this only being the first volume (at 768 pages no less!), I had a fantastic time reading this book. It is lengthy (there's no getting around that) but it moves along at a good pace which had me picking it up again and again. Now I'll just have to wait for the announcement of the release date for the second book.  

Source: Amazon

What I'm currently reading: Good Omens by Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett

**If you're interested in buying any of these books or any books really, you can click here. This will re-direct you to AbeBooks which is a site I use all of the time to find used books at an excellent price. A lot of the time I don't even pay for shipping! Full disclosure: I will receive a commission on all sales made through this link. You will not be charged anything additional for my commission. I wouldn't recommend a site that I didn't use and you are under no obligation to purchase anything. :-) **

No comments:

Post a Comment