January 13, 2013

Sometimes you just have to throw in the towel...

It's important to remember that you're not always going to like everything that you read and that you shouldn't be too hard on yourself if this happens.

I've been trying my darndest to get through Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling because of the absolutely wonderful experience of the Harry Potter series.  However, her newest book was not AT ALL my cup of tea.  I made it about halfway through it and I just couldn't bear to read one more word.  There wasn't a single character that I could relate to and I didn't find any of them all that likable.  It's difficult to make it through a novel with a host of characters if you can't attach yourself to any single story line for the duration of the book.  Sooooo I gave up and decided it was best if I just moved on.

And move on I did!  One of my friends encouraged me to try a graphic novel interpretation of a book that I've adored ever since I was a child: A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle.  It was adapted and illustrated by Hope Larson.  I'm not a fan of graphic novels.  This is my third attempt and I would have to say it's been the most successful.  I breezed right through it mostly because I'm so familiar with the content of the narrative.  However, I have to say that I wasn't all that impressed.  A lot of the magic was lost in this adaptation and the writing was pretty abominable.  As I said, this was my third attempt at graphic novels and I believe it will be my last.

For Christmas/graduation, I received several books.  I've decided to barrel my way through these before I tackle my overflowing bookshelves.  Next on the agenda is The Ever-After Bird by Ann Rinaldi.  My good friend, and fellow librarian, has highly recommended this YA author who specializes in historical fiction.  This book is about a young girl who learns firsthand what it means to be an abolitionist on the Underground Railroad.  I can't wait to give it a read and give YOU the review!!

Happy reading everyone!!

PS To all of you who have stuck with me on this journey, I really appreciate it!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment